Another master piece
from Eddie Kelly A
Christmas Tale of Ale December 1924
was in great demand in the 18th Century when every household brewed
its own beer. Keighley's malt came from the Colne district, since the
soil round Keighley is not suitable for growing barley.
Many of the pubs,
Inns, hotels and beerhouses in Keighley were houses and not built designed
to be pubs, but converted house or cottages. Many had land adjoining
with out buildings, a completely different picture to what we often
imagine. Once the licensing laws changed it became more common place
for pubs and hotels to be purpose built, especially with the coming of
the railway. Very few old pubs in their entirety still exist,
the land being sold and or built on, stables no longer needed horses
replaced by the motor car.
Before the once important to the town "Station
stood at the top of Dalton Lane was demolished to make way for some
concrete monstrosity, one could get an idea of a purpose built Hotel
and the buildings that would be attached to it. There are now only a handful
of remaining buildings in the town where we can get some idea of what
a typical inn from the stage coach days would look like from the outside,
the rear of the Hope and Anchor, out buildings now demolished, the
area now a car park, but with some imagination and an old map we can
paint an image picture in our minds. A wonder behind the Albert can
also help us get an idea as can a peek behind the Grapes.
The precursor to the
Beerhouse Act was the Licencing Act 1828, which established a
"General Annual Licencing Meeting," to be held in every
city, town, division, county and riding, for the purposes of granting
licenses to inns, alehouses and victualling houses to sell excisable
liquors to be drunk on the premises. The Act proved inadequate to
rectify the heavy taxation then prevalent on small pubs and taverns,
thus making it hard for them to operate.
The Beer House Act
1830 Any person with room in their front parlour could open up as a
beer house for the sale of beer or ale only. No spirits could be sold.
It enabled anyone to brew and sell beer, ale or cider, whether from a
public house or their own homes, upon obtaining a moderately priced
license of just under £2 for beer and ale and £1 for cider, without
recourse to obtaining them from justices of the peace, as was
previously required. The 1830 Act was colloquially known as "The
Duke of Wellington's Beerhouse Act".
Once the mills
started to allow all their filth in to the rivers which once had
enormous stocks of different breeds of fish and crystal clear the
water became undrinkable, beer being the only safe way to quench ones thirst.
I understand that a beerhouse was identified by hanging a brush head
In 1869 beer
houses were brought under the control of local magistrates. They had
to improve the conditions to gain a license, many closed down. What
were beer houses, known usually only by the land lords name,
after 1869 they Acquired names, some pubs also changed their names
for one reason or another, a few having the same name, only being distinguishable
by the addition of hotel, inn etc.
New laws passed at
the beginning of the twentieth century sounded the death knell for the
beerhouse. The licensing Act of 1902 gave Licensing Justices
the power to refuse licence renewal if premises were deemed
structurally unsound or unneeded in the area.
These powers were
extended by Balfour’s Act in 1904, which made it even easier for
pubs to be closed down. Existing licences became known as ‘old on
licences’ meaning the ‘Ante 1869 Beerhouse’ was no longer immune
from the licence renewal procedure. Furthermore, unwanted licences
could be removed in return for compensation, which was raised by
levying a charge on all existing ‘on’ licences in the area.
Drinking and its
effects became a big problem as the population increased, and in areas
highly populated by the Irish saw more than their fair share of fights
and disturbances caused by the dreaded drink. A drinking fountain was
provided in an attempt to provide refreshment for free, and to
discourage people from entering the pubs, it was placed outside the Devonshire.
The temperance movement in their attempt to dissuade people from this
past time, which often deprived families of food as the husband, and
some times even the wife would spend their wages on alcohol, so coffee
shops were set up in order to provide a place where people could still
have refreshment and socialise. The coffee house would sell not only
coffee, tea but herb and fruit drinks of the day like sarsaparilla and
would provide newspapers for the customers to read.
Pubs were often used
to hold meetings of impotence to the town, coming of the railways, the
canals and the reservoirs. They were also used for inquests so that
people did not have to travel too far to attend. It is also rumored
that the Fleece at Oakworth also had the village jail there.
Food would only be
obtainable at the Hotels, crisps and nuts had not yet been thought off
as a means to get people to drink more, you went to the
pub to drink and socialise, and maybe acquaint yourself with
some female company, the sort that you would not take home to meet
your mother. One thing that does not seem to have changed over the
years is being able to make an under the table deal in a pub.
Many provided entertainment, pianists, singers, dancers to name a few.
Some even attempting to become "music hall" in the type of
acts that they provided. The Angle putting on plays in the upstairs
Many of the Landlord names were taken from directories in the 1800's
- early 1900's. The information here can not be guaranteed as 100% correct. If anyone as any information,
corrections or photographs please email
Most of the information here as been very kindly provided by Eddie
Kelly to whom we are very grateful. There is a lot more
information than is shown here but we are unable at this time to show
it. Eddie Kelly is a respected authority on pubs, beerhouse and the
like from out past and writes many items for publications, including
CAMRA. The artical he very kindly allowed us to use about the Grinning
Rat makes for interesting reading and can be found lower down on this
History of pub signs bjcurtis.force9.co.uk
Airedale Craven Heifer, Sandbeds.
| Built mid 1800's pub and barn. Named after the famous cow. Brear & Brown Brewers Hipperholme
Acquired the pub in 1897
In 1830, the Airedale Heifer, fed by Mr. Slingsby at Riddlesden
Hall, was killed. This wonderful animal was slaughtered in
consequence of a severe contusion on one of her hind quarters,
which turned to a mortification. The owner had 400 guineas
offered for her, and was to receive one-half of the profits
arising from her exhibition in England. She weighed 41 stones
12tbs. per quarter, 16fbs. to the stone, and measured 11 feet 10
inches from her nose to the stump of the tail, and 10 feet 6
inches in girth. She was 11 inches deep in fat on the ribs. A
sketch of this beautiful animal was taken by the late Mr. John
Bradley, a native artist, and an engraving executed at a
considerable expense. Taken from Keighley Past and Present.
Club, Halifax Road.
Would later become Steptoes
Hotel Bridge Street
present Albert replaced a smaller one in 1899. The new one boasted
two smoking rooms a filling bar, vault, bar parlour, club room
and a commercial room.
Acquired by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 21st Oct 1885
Angel Inn 27 Baptist's Square
Photo below: Angel is down the road to the left of
| Angel, 27 Baptist's
Square, Landlord William
Robinson listed in a trade directory possibly and highly likely
to be the Angel in Turkey Street. The upper rooms were used
for Staging plays.
Acquired by Scott & Robinson Brewers Skipton 29th April 1864
Conveyed to A King Brewer Keighley 5th Dec 1877 Free A King Brewer Keighley
W Cattle Brewer Keighley 16th Sept 1891 Acquired by J Walsh from W Cattle
Brewer Keighley 1st Jan 1904 Sold to J Ogden Brewer Haworth 3rd Dec
At the rear of the Inn on Turkey Street directly across the other side of the
road was the New Inn.
Top photo back of Angel on Turkey Street. Bottom photo is the
front in Baptist Square, this very rare photo along with additional
information was supplied by
Eddie Kelly. The Angel is the grander building with the
bollard outside and name board on the wall. This fully licensed
pub had its fair share of notoriety over the years. It was I
believe actually built by the overseers of the adjacent
Baptist chapel in the days before they went over to the
temperance cause. The bollard looks like an upturned cannon
many of these used in the Crimean war were later used for this
Hydropathic Practice.— Alleged Death from the Imprudent
Application of Cold Water. — On
Tuesday, the 19th of June last, an inquest was held on the
body of Dinah Toothill, at the Angel Inn, Keighley, before
Thomas Brown, Esq., Coroner.
the face of the most convincing evidence of murderous
treatment, juries continue to outrage the commonsense of
mankind by returning the hackneyed verdict of " Died
by the visitation of God." It would appear that the
most powerful agents may be applied by the most illiterate of
quacks, so as to occasion death, and yet the proper charge of
manslaughter must, as in this case, be permitted to fall to
the ground. The case of poor Dinah Toothill strikingly
illustrates the insufficiency of legal enactments for the
protection of human life, against the lethal weapons of
quackery, and affords another instance of the danger of
abusing a naturally innocent agent.
It was abundantly proved
that a gross and fatal outrage on female decency was
perpetrated by a hydropathic adventurer, he having for days personally
subjected his patient, while menstruating, to the cold
water " cure," (?) until death removed her
beyond the revolting scene.
being adduced, in summing- up, the Coroner said that, in the
whole course of his experience, he had never met with a more
flagrant case than the one under consideration. He could not
imagine any proceeding more repulsive to the feelings and more
insulting to the decency of a woman than that of being taken
out of bed and stripped naked by a man ; and this being
repeated five times a day, made the circumstance doubly gross.
He then instituted a comparison between the case of the
deceased and that of Miss Catherine Cashen.
The latter was a
patient of the notorious St John Long, who, by friction and
the use of stimulating liquids to the back induced
inflammation, terminating in sloughing, exfoliation of the
spinal bones, and subsequent death. The friends of the lady
brought an action against the quack, which was tried twice.
both trials he was found guilty, the judges deciding that
“an illegal practitioner exposing the person of a female for
the purpose of applying his remedies was guilty of a common
assault; and if death followed upon the administration of the
remedies he was guilty of manslaughter." He (the Coroner)
in conclusion mentioned these facts, as they pointed out the
law on the subject in a manner not to be misunderstood. It was
for the jury to consider the whole of the evidence, and frame
their verdict accordingly.
a few minutes' conference the jury returned a verdict of
“Died by the visitation of God."
Frets, September 19, 1849.
Aaron King Brewery, Cook Lane
Thanks to Jan for the two photos on the left, the photo in the middle is from the Turkey
but shows the K used in the glass of their pubs.
Bay Horse, Westgate area
during the clearance of the slums of Pinfold and Westgate.
Acquired by JR Holmes Brewer Bradford 4th May 1866
Beaumont Arms. There was listed a
Thomas Beaumont, 31 High Street as a Wine & Spirit Merchants,
in the Pigot's Directory of 1834 It was also known as the Sun and after the Exchange Vaults
Club, Worth Village. Landlord mid 1900's George Petyt
Blue Bell. a Beerhouse in the Leeds Street, Turkey Street
area its more recent name prior to closure The New Inn,
Black Bull, Old Bridge St. 1829 Landlady Elizabeth Ackroyd. Landlords James
Black Horse, 5
or 6 Low Street Landlords
Francis Topham, - Jno Corlass. 1881 John Shuttleworth. Martha Cook
was landlady, she was
also the postmistress 1785 - 1833, she was daughter of the first. postmistress
Mrs. Irvin. The family ran the post. office in Keighley
for 127 years. Letters from Bradford arrive at 8 in the
morning, are dispatched at 1/2 past 1 at noon ; from Skipton, arrive
at 1/2 past I day, and are dispatched at 8 in the
morning. In the late 1800's Keighley Cricket Club
and Keighley Rugby club used the Hotel as headquarters.
Acquired at auction by T Ramsden Brewer Halifax 15th Feb 1899 Acquired
Tetley Brewer Halifax 22nd Dec 1965
Blue Nag. Mention is made of this place in a pamphlet
entitled "Outcast Keighley" printed around 1880. We had no
idea at first if it was a beerhouse or a nick name for a pub. We
now have the answer to this but for now we are keeping this
information to ourselves, but if you check back in a few months we
will be able explain why. Watch this space as they say.
Arms 117 East Parade.
Small GBG- listed pub, Conveyed to J Knowles Brewer Denholme Gate
8th May 1872 J Wood Brewer Allerton Acquired Mortgage 26th Mar 1885 T
Taylor Brewer Keighley Acquired Mortgage 1895.
Since 1994 to present the landlord is Phillip Booth who comes from a
long line of local inn keepers, his father Brian Booth lived at The
Great Northern and took over Shackleton & Sagers Mineral Water
Manufacturers on Hainworth Wood Road. Until demolished in the late
80's. Phillip Booths Grandfather was the landlord of the Great
Northern (see notes referring to the Great Northern). Phillip's
brother Simon also informs us that the family tradition still
continues as Phillips daughter Laura is also licensee at the Friendly. Is four
generations in the same town a record?
Bradford Arms Wellington
Acquired by JR Holmes Brewer Bradford 28th July 1865 Acquired by Hammonds Brewers
Bradford 5th Nov 1919
Brewery Arms Longcroft
Bridge Inn Bridge Street,
1938 Conveyed to Woods Brewers Denholme 9th June 1891 Acquired by
Boardmans United Breweries 7 Sept 1896 Leased to
Strettons Brewery Derby Acquired by Bentleys, Yorkshire Breweries
6th July 1921
1881 Ann Garnett. Acquired by W Whitaker Brewer Bradford 7th Jan 1891
(Albion Cycling Club), Damside.
Information from Eddie Kelly: Closed down by the magistrates along
with several other beerhouses. The excuse for closure was a
suggestion that several years previously the beer house keeper had
been intoxicated while on the premises.
Beerhouses were outside the remit of the local magistrates until the
Brewster sessions of 1869 when they were brought into line with
fully licensed premises. Some time later the premises were used as a
club eventually becoming the Albion Cycling Club at the junction of
Damside/Oakworth Rd. Following demolition in the 1960's this club
relocated to Halifax Rd eventually turning the clock full circle and
obtaining a pub licence known as Steptoes!
Brown Cow Cross Leeds Street
to J Knowles Brewer Denholme Gate 17th Sept 1873 Previously
known as Brown Cow Home Brewery Mortgaged to Scott Brewer
Skipton 6th Aug 1900 Previously mortgaged to A King Brewer Keighley
Acquired by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 14th Dec 1901
Brunswick Arms. Brunswick
Street. Acquired by A King Brewer Keighley 2 June 1878 Acquired
by W Brown Brewer Haworth 25 Oct 1881 ex A King Acquired by T Taylor
Brewer Keighley 25 Nov 1891
Arms Market Street,
| Landlords Jonas
Ellison, 1861 William Hey Inn keeper and gardener. Leased to
Alexander Bell Brewer Barrowford 1857 (20 years) Acquired by T
Taylor Brewer Keighley 6 Nov 1877. Market Tavern, (not
to be confuesed with the Market Arms) Denbigh Square. was
alternative name for Burlington Denbigh Sq
Hotel Cavendish Street.
|| Built 1900. Site Acquired by T Ramsden Brewer Halifax 26 July 1899 Acquired
by J Tetley Brewer Halifax 22 Dec 1965
Inn 16 Church Street
Leased by S Taylor Brewer Manningham Acquired by White Horse
Brewery Keighley 4 Mar 1879 Acquired by Scott Brewers
Skipton 15 Mar 1897 Sold to Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 1
Landlords Joseph Lapish. 1881 James Holdsworth. 1902 Mary Ann
One landlord William Weatherhead, recorded as landlord in 1829, his daughter, Nancy,
married John Clough snr. of Grove Mill, and became the mother of Sir
John who in turn married Thamar Smith, the daughter of Prince Smith
of Holly House.
Arms Coney Lane Landlords
1871 & 1881 John Foster from Harum, York, England, Beerhouse Keeper
living at 23 Coney Lane. Acquired by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 22 Nov
Cross Inn, Haworth Closed 1907 Acquired by Ogden Brewer Haworth 19 Jan 1899
Crossroads Inn. Acquired by
D Fielding Brewer Bradshaw 21 Jan 1869
Crown, 21 Church Street Landlords John Ellison, 1880 Joseph & Hannah Turner. Coaches that called here: To Bradford, the Mail Car - To Halifax,
the Union Demolished in 1989. The town drinking fountain was
Devonshire Arms (Hotel), Church Street.
Samuel Morgan. T. Ecroyd was proprietor 1884 (post
chaise) : To Kendal, the Union - To Leeds, the Union -
Invincible (from Preston) Possibly on the site of the old Roebuck
Inn) (Red Buck)
by Corporation ex Duke of Devonshire 6 Jul 1897.
The Devonshire seems to have been very much the center of
activity, not only was it a coaching Inn, it is mentioned time
and time again in news papers, meetings held, auctions of
property and the like.
Dick Hudsons ~
Fleece, East. Morton, Keighley. Named after the
Druids Arms Thwaites Brow Road
Dusty Miller, Dam side
Landlord 1822 Thomas Ackroyd, Is listed under Inns and Taverns
in Baines's Directory and Gazetteer Directory of 1822. We now know
that there were more than one pub/beerhouse of this name, more
information will be provided at a later date.
Eastwood Conservative Club, Dalton Lane.
Built in the second half of the 19th century as a chapel. Eastwood
Conservative Club closed early 1990s
Eastwood Tavern 39 Bradford Rd.
|| Acquired by Booth & Ogden
Brewers Brighouse 10 Feb 1875 Acquired 1 May 1880 by A King Brewer Keighley
ex Booth & Ogden Acquired at auction by T Taylor Brewer Keighley
23 Jul 1935
High Street. descended
from earlier inn - The Sun, was also know as Beumont Arms before
becoming Exchange Vaults. Information via Eddie Kelly
also known as Moor Lodge and is now Scar Top Pine. Two Laws Road.
Fleece, 98 Low Street. At
one time called the Black Bull
|| Landlord John
Walker. Coaches that left or called here: The Tradesman for
Bradford. The Wonder to Halifax. To Scarborough, the Royal
Alexander - To Skipton, the Mail car. John
Demaine was licensee for six years late 1840's - 1850's.
in 1934 (Marks and Spencer now stands here) Kirkstall Prize Ales. In
the 1820's it was used as a meeting place for a woolcombers club.
Acquired by W Brown Brewer Haworth 14 May 1890 Ex J Walsh Acquired
by Kirstall Brewery 1st Feb 1893 Ex W Brown Haworth
John Hodgson tells us that William Carr
1790 first lived in house that stood where the Fleece Inn stood and
was here for around eight years as a jobbing blacksmith and
who is mentioned above living at where the Golden Fleece once stood
moved to a house that would later become the Golden Lion Inn in 1798.
Fleece, Lane ends
Golden Fleece at Oakworth is a long established inn known by that name
as early as 1822 when John Weatherhead was landlord.
Landlord John Birtwhistle mid 1800's. It is believed that the village lock up was in the
cellar. Now called the Golden Fleece. Leased by W
Cattle Brewer Keighley 1888 Acquired by Brear & Brown Bewers
Hipperholme 31 Aug 1896 Acquired by R Whitaker Brewer Halifax 21 May
Foresters Arms, Bridge
Street. Oakworth. Closed in 1970. Re-opened in 1971 as the 'Fab Thirties
Club'. closed in 1974. Now houses. Acquired by White Horse Brewery
Keighley 16 April 1884 Acquired by Scott Brewers Skipton 15 Mar 1897
Sold to Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 1 Oct 1912
Fountain Inn 18 Church Street.
Now the Red Pig. On 13 Mar 1901 the
Keighley News reported the death of Charles Wadsworth, aged 40
as living here.
Originally Named Hole In Wall Acquired by J Knowles Brewer Denholme
Gate 8 Nov 1852 Acquired by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 3 Dec 1884
Freemasons Arms, See
Masons Arms Sarah
Fowlds, 81 Low Street.
Friendly Inn 2 Aireworth Street.
by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 16 Dec 1887
Information from Allan Smith: Tommy and Audrey Naylor left the
Stewardship of the Ingrow & Hermit Hole Conservative Club
to become Licencees of the Friendly on 04 November 1976.
Laura Booth is the present licensee, she is from a long line
of Keighley landlords, for more information see the entry
above for the Bolt Makers
Arms, Hanover Street.
|| The premises
were first noted as being used by a beer retailer in 1848
& closing in 2012 total 164 years. A prosperous house
between the wars. One licensee took over the pub in 1913
remaining until his death in 1936 then succeeded by his widow
who remained until 1954 an incredible 41 years!
Acquired by J Knowles Brewer
Denholme Gate 18 Oct 1881 Acquired by J Wood Brewer Allerton 31 Dec
1884 Acquired by Boardmans United Breweries 7 Sept 1896 Leased to
Strettons Brewery Derby Acquired by Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 6
At closure the pub was owned by pubco Admiral Taverns but
previously by Whitbreads who acquired the pub with the
Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries business towards the end of the
Globe 2 Parkwood Street
or 7 Park Lane.
1881 landlord Robinson Craggs from Bucknall, Lincoln.
Acquired by H Thompson Brewer Keighley 4 Jan 1873 Acquired by Great
Northern Railway 7 Oct 1883 Acquired by A King 14 Jan 1889 ex Great
Northern Railway Co Acquired at auction by T Taylor Brewer Keighley
23 Jul 1935
Goats Head Inn. Steeton
|| Stood at the corner of Low Street
and Cook Lane
prior to 1845. John Hodgson tells us that William Carr,
Reed and Heald maker, native of Scorton near Preston in an attempt
to make his fortune as a mechanic moved to Keighley taking a
house in 1790 where the Fleece now stands, at this house he
had his mechanics shop and smithy and was there for about
The Fleece (site of Marks and Spencer's) had a
sun dial dated 1782 and there does not appear to be an opening
that William could have used for hauling his work up to the upper
floor that John Hodgson asks us to look for so we must assume that he meant William
Carr lived at the Golden Fleece.
Purchased at the sale of the Parker property
in Keighley by the agent of Lord George H Cavendish proprietor of
the Devonshire Arms to do away with the rivalry between the
KEIGHLEY PAST AND PRESENT The annexed inscription or device
which was to be seen on the front of an old house, standing at
the corner of Low-street and Cook-lane, prior to 1845, will be
recognized by many of the, inhabitants as an old and familiar
acquaintance. This building was a part of the "Golden
Fleece," or Head inn, and was purchased at the sale
of the Parker property in Keighley, by the agent of Lord George
H. Cavendish, proprietor of the "Devonshire Arms," in
order to do away with the rivalry which had previously existed
between the two inns. It was erected, as shown by the initials
and date, by Robert Parker, in the year 1697.
Before 1930 when a shop (see photo), was known as Groves
Corner, the 18th century building being knocked down that year,
this building would have been the Golden Fleece.
Golden Lion, 105 Low Street
William Shackleton was landlord. John Hodgson tells us that William Carr
1790 first lived in house that stood where the Fleece Inn stood and
was here for around eight years as a jobbing blacksmith and
whitesmith. who is mentioned above living at where the Golden Fleece once stood
moved to a house that would later become the Golden Lion Inn in 1798.
1798 John Hodgson tells us that he went to live at a house which later
became the Golden Lion and that the house was most likely built for him as the top storey
formed his workshop and anyone passing up or down Low Street may see
in the top room of his house a crane doorway, now walled up. He
had his smithy behind the house. 1818 William Dean cabinet maker
occupied the house. So it would be a few years after 1818 that it
would be turned over to drinking.
From Eddie Kelly: The pub was privately owned but tied by
agreement to Aaron King & Co for draught beer. Following closure
in December 1920 the building was subsequently bought by John
Simpson Driver & used as a grocers shop for many years. Now
occupied by Greenwoods menswear. There had been a rampant lion
above the door and is I believe still preserved in store at Cliffe
Castle. Abraham Bland was a club steward in Shipley before coming to
the Golden Lion. He left late 1905 & was succeeded by Harry
Riley. He was a professional cricketer with the Keighley club.
Harry Riley was followed in 1909 by another sporting legend of that
time Gomer Llewellyn Gunn who played rugby for the Keighley Northern
Union team but had earlier been a Welsh Rugby Union International
before heading north joining Wigan & later Bradford. The
sporting connection continued when George Chaplin a full back with
Bradford City Football club took over the licence in 1913 remaining
for about a year before Harry Riley reappeared following a stint
with Colne Cricket Club.
Free Aaron King Brewer Keighley Leasing 1901.
Grapes, High Street. 1880 Jonas
Crossley. Mortgaged from A King Brewer Keighley 23 May 1891 Acquired
by Ilkley Brewery March 1896 ex A King Brewer Keighley
Great Northern 12-14
Joyce, Landlord and landlady Mark and Mary Gunning
| Built in the early 19th century, just after the opening of the
Keighley-Halifax turnpike, extended into the two cottages next
to it and changed its name c.1884.
Acquired by Scott Brewer Skipton 3 March 1900 Sold to Bentleys Yorkshire
Breweries 1 Oct 1912.
and Mary Gunning took over when the White Horse Closed. The
succeeded Danny & Edith Simpson, and possibly Ned Booth may have
been before them. The son of Ned Booth, Brian
Booth lived there and took over Shackleton & Sagers
Mineral Water Manufacturers on Hainworth Wood Road. Until
demolished in the late 80's. Somewhere along the line was Jack Barry. Mark
Gunning used to say that John Waddington, who once kept the
Great Northern, had won it on a wager at a clay pigeon shoot.
John Wardley succeeded Mark Gunning at the Great Northern Inn
on 08 Feb 1971.
Allan Smith for some of the information and photo.
The Tale Of The Rat: By Eddie Kelly All about the Grinning Rat
Inn, Hainworth. Opened 1930. Built by Aaron King brewers Keighley
to replace Springfield House
Eddie Kelly: Seems the correct
name for the beerhouse was Springfield House but was more
usually known locally as T'Owd Gormless - it was never fully
It was located lower down the hill from the Guide on
the Cullingworth Road. It was eventually acquired by Aaron King
who built the pub known during building as The Springfield
The new pub was built on ground known as the Guide Field.
It was renamed The Guide prior to a licence being granted one
condition for the new licence being the surrender of the Beer
House Licence at the Gormles (Springfield House). All this
happened 1929/30. The original beerhouse gradually fell into
disrepair and was completely derelict. One further point - there used to be
a large mural painted on the whole of one wall of the
Guide (may still be there). that depicts a walker coming over
the hill & spotting the new pub exclaims 'I'm not as
Gormless as I look' no doubt reflecting the fact that what was
then a major Inn growing from a humble beerhouse. I have
heard tell that because this was once a major route and also
rather bleak being surrounded by moorland that the pub used to
light up the windows and leave them lit all night in order to
guide lost travelers.
Hare & Hounds, 31
Low Street on the corner of Wellington Street
demolished 1966. Hey's ales. Landlords Benjamin Mellor, - Beecroft
Booth 1871 Martha Hays hotel keeper 1881
David Hall. Tordoff Brewer Bradford Acquired 30 Sept
1896 Acquired by J Hey Brewer Bradford Apr 1919
Hay Maker Hotel,
88 Market Street. This hotel is marked on the 1878 map, it seems to be
a long building running from the opposite side of the road from Sloe
Street going right back to the Grave Yard. The name given in the
1871 census was Hay Market Hotel, this was a mistake by the
enumerator. Henry Smith listed as Beerhouse keeper. We seem to have
some work to do here, it now seems there is a possibility that both
these places existed, whether they existed at one and the same time we
have yet to establish.
Inn, Colne Road
||Information from Eddie Kelly:
Earlier name was The Oldham Arms. An OS map sheet 95 for
Blackburn & Burnley dated 1967 shows the pub name as The
Oldham Arms. A note in respect the pub made in 1915 when the
name was given as The Odham Arms and owned by the
Oakworth House Estate, this would have been in the times of
Sir Isaac Holden.
Hole in the Wall,
Church Street (Market place) 1829 landlord Thomas Corlass,
Hope & Anchor (Hope Street) 245, South Street.
1829 Martha Edmundson
& Joseph Edmundson. Free: 1870's Leased by J Knowles Brewer
Denholme Gate Conveyed to J Cattle Brewer Keighley 29 Dec 1877 Acquired
From W Cattle Brewer Keighley 26 Oct 1903 Acquired by R Whitaker
Brewer Halifax 20 June 1922. Closed and put
up for sale summer 2009.
Horse and Jockey,
can now safely say that the property shown on the left was not
the Horse and Jockey. Form information gained from Eddie Kelly
we know that the ratable value of the Horse and Jockey was
much lower than the Boltmakers, rates went on size
so we know from that the Horse and Jockey must have been a small beerhouse.
There is no doubt that it was on Greengates, as was the
building pictured, it was local historian Clifford Whone that
came to the conclusion that this building was the Horse and
Jockey, and that it had once been Cabbage House. So for years
this sad old building as been assumed to be Cabbage House
and the Horse and Jockey, and it was neither. We have yet to
find out what this house was, but we are 100% sure it was not
Cabbage House or The Horse and Jockey, after much research we located where Cabbage
House once stood.
Photos on loan from Jan and Keighley history site
We know that the pub had a reputation because in 1869 at the
Keighley Brewster Sessions John Smith the landlord was refused
his license due to it being used by
prostitutes, he himself also
lived with one.
from Eddie Kelly re Horse and Jockey: don't have much on this other than the
beerhouse didn't seem to exist in 1862 but was operating as
such in 1865 kept by James Hayward. Francis Berry was in
charge in 1866.
He also seems to have moved on as in 1867 the
keeper was John Smith but more importantly a local poor rate
book suggests the premises were owned by Thomas Corlass
& Co. I suspect the rapid turnover of beerhouse keepers
suggests the pub wasn't particularly busy. John Smith was
still there when the pub was closed following the Brewster
sessions held in 1869 when for the first time magistrates
were given jurisdiction over controlling beerhouses. They
used these newly granted powers to close down many
beerhouses using 'haunt of prostitutes' as a common reason.
This was the reason given for closing the Horse &
Jockey, New Inn Turkey St, Dusty Miller Damside, Prince of
Wales Parker St and the Farmhouse (aka Horse & Trumpet)
beerhouse at Utley.
snippets we have gathered from various books and articles and we leave for your perusal.
The house in the photo. Demolished 1962.
It is believed that it was once build for and the home of a
mill owner, three storey Georgian style, so possibly built at
the start of the industrial revolution.
It was empty for a number of years after being used on and
off as a lodging house. It was also used for storing
patterns for for Jonas Wells foundry. The last occupiers
were Sagar and Broughton cart cover makers, and the upstairs
used by a small engineering firm (taken from Keighley News Images
If any one owns "Keighley in the 1930's & 40's by
Ian Dewhirst, the aerial photo of Greengates shows the front
of the building, by using the map on the left you should be
able to identify the location.
shown was a fine three story house,
which when built would have been very grand, it is possible
that it was built by an early Greenwood, and we must not dismiss the
fact that it could have been the first Cabbage House before Greenwood
bought the land.
From the Keighley News
Horse and Jockey Inn May once have been the home of mill owner
THE derelict three-storey Georgian building which is being
demolished in Greengate to make way for a foundry for Jonas
Wells Ltd., brassfounders, Keighley, may once have been the
home of a prosperous mill owner, then a public house of ill
repute, an engineering works, and finally a storage place. The
building has mainly been noted as the Horse and Jockey Inn,
but there are apparently no photographs in existence of it
when used as a public-house, nor is there documentary proof
that it was, in fact ever an inn. Tradition has persisted that
this building was, however, the Horse and Jockey. When it was
built and by whom is also a mystery, but it may well have been
the home of a mill owner. The area is predominantly occupied
by factories and owners of early cotton and wool mills often
lived on or near their works.
For instance, Mr. John Greenwood erected a mill in Greengate
it the beginning of last century and built himself Cabbage
House. This may possibly be the house. An old map shows an
open area in front of which could have been a garden. In later
years the area would lose its appeal as a residential district
and the house is then thought to have been converted into a
public house. Mr. Clifford Whone, the Keighley historian, has
been told it was a public-house about 1889, but extensive
research at Keighley Public Library has failed to find any
mention of the inn in old Directories listing such premises.
That there was a Horse and Jockey in Greengate is certain for
the "Keighley News' in 1869 reported a meeting of the
Brewster Sessions when application for a licence was heard.
The report stated: "John Smith, of the Horse and
Jockey, Greengate, next came forward. Supt. Gill said it was a
house similar in character to those which licences had been
refused. Sgt. Ellison said he always found prostitutes there
and the applicant himself cohabited with one at the present
time. He had cautioned the applicant. Smith said he had never
been cautioned and did not keep disorderly characters in his
house. Application refused." Mr. Whone understands that
the Horse and Jockey later became a lodging-house. He can
remember going up the outside steps, which were built on to
the gable end, up to the top storey about 1900 in an errand
for his lather. At that time the top storey was used by a
small engineering firm. He is certain that the building has
not been occupied since about 1920.
Horse & Trumpet,
Joiners Arms beer house at
Information from Eddie Kelly: Owned & kept by John Craven (former
occupation - joiner) which seems to have commenced business about
1863/4 but was closed down at the licensing sessions in 1870 following
a complaint of drunkenness at 10 at night earlier in the year. In an
effort to off-set the effects of this offence Craven did try sub-letting the pub with no success. The
un-licensed premises were offered
for sale during October 1870.
Keighley Cycling Club,
King's Arms,35 Church Street. Once
an old coaching inn. Demolished in 1960's. Landlords Joseph Booth, 1880 Levi & Sarah Driver.
Acquired by J Knowles Brewer Denholme Gate 31 Oct 1876 Acquired by J
Wood Brewer Allerton 24 Mar 1885 Acquired by W Whitaker Brewer
Bradford 11 May 1905. There is suggestion that this was once called
The New House Inn. A date stone that was on the building gave the
Head South Street. Acquired by JR Holmes Brewer Bradford 19 Aug 1872 Acquired
by Hammonds Brewers Bradford 5 Nov 1919
Lord Rodney, Church
oldest pub in Keighley. Believed to have originated in the 17th
century Before 1780 was called Ye
Olde Red Lion. A former Landlord in the 18th century, John
Drake was said to be related to Sir Francis Drake (to be proved). At some point in the late
1700's the inn was sold to a John Clapham for four hundred and fifty
pounds, this also included a dwelling house, which was occupied by
William Fox 1839 William is listed as landlord. William Fox & Elizabeth Fox. 1880
While digging, in 1936, workmen unearth a skull and some bones out
side the inn. As a church stood near by for over 800 years, it
must be assumed that the line of the church wall was altered during
renovations and rebuilding, and that the inn is built on part of the
old grave yard. Free Leased until 1922 by T Ramsden Brewer Halifax Acquired
at auction by J Tetley Brewer Leeds 26 Sept 1957
Malt Shovel, Leeds Street. Acquired by H Thompson Brewer Keighley
12 Sept 1872 Acquired by Scott Brewers Skipton 15 Mar 1897 Sold to
Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 1 Oct 1912
Market Arms, Denbigh
Vaults became Market Arms
Market Tavern, Denbigh
alternative name for Burlington Denbigh Sq.
Marquis of Granby Isaac
Wilkinson 1834. Acquired by A King Brewer Keighley 15 Nov 1892
Arms, 81 Low Street. From a book by John Hodgson we
learn that the father of William Sharp kept the Masons Arms Inn
which in the mid 1800's stood the local board of health in Low Street.
Behind the Inn stood some farm buildings where his son used as a
warehouse for storing and weighing wool. The Grandson of the pub owner
was "Three Laps".
The 'original' Mason's Arms Stood at the corner of Hanover Street and Low
Street back in the 1820s. Around 1850 it was pulled down and
the Wellington hotel was built.
The Mason's Arms moved to its
current location on Longcroft in1853 built by William Fowlds
father of Mr. Hiram Fowlds on land bought from the Greenwoods.
Jeremiah Fowlds born in 1776, remained in the inn till his death
in 1820. The landlady was then his widow Sally, could this be the same
lady named Sarah in 1861 and 1871 or maybe a daughter or other family
relative. Landlady 1861 & 1871 Sarah Fowlds
(Foulds) widow. 1881 William Broadley. Acquired by J Knowles Brewer
Denholme Gate 9 July 1879 Conveyed to T Taylor Brewer Keighley 12
New Inn, Turkey Street. directly opposite the back door
of the Angel Inn. Before closing in
1869 it had been called the Blue Bell.
||The New Inn was
located in Turkey Street directly opposite the back door of the
Information from Eddie Kelly: The map is a fragment from a local board
of health plan in respect of a scheme to improve the junction of
what is now West Lane/High Street. This would be early to mid
1860's. The New Inn beerhouse is clearly marked although the Sun
Beerhouse is mistakenly named as the Ship. The pub was known as The New Inn when it was conveyed to
Timothy Taylor 15 Feb 1864. The conveyance noting the former
name being The Bluebell.
New Inn Cross
Roads. Acquired by T Taylor 4 Nov 1859
Oddfellows Arms, Cavendish
Demolished 1900, the Cavendish Hotel now Stands here.
Market Street. On the 1878 map looks to be a couple of doors down
from the entrance to the church (left) 1871 census William Feather Publican.
Became Market Arms Acquired by S Taylor Brewer Manningham 14 May
1866 1892 Tied to Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries. It later became Market
Arms, Denbigh Square.
Wales, Parker St
Brewster sessions held in 1869 when for the first time magistrates
were given jurisdiction over controlling beerhouses. They used these
newly granted powers to close down many beerhouses using 'haunt of
prostitutes' as a common reason. This was the reason given for closing
Prince of Wales Parker St
Queens Head, Cavendish Street.
Demolished 1900 as soon as the Cavendish Hotel was complete
Queens Building / The Midland Queens Hotel /
Station Hotel. Bradford Road at the
corner of Dalton Lane
Was occupied by Richard Craven electrical. The
Head estate, Cowling, was auctioned here. Once the home of the Wainman family. News item 1st June 2006
To be demolished for being uninteresting. landlords 1871 George
Wat??n 1881 Fletcher Harrison from Ossett , see 1881 household
The Midland Queen’s Hotel was built in 1901 to the design of
Milnes and France, and in the same style as Trubshaw’s earlier Station
building. there was an earlier, smaller hotel on this
site. Three and a half Storey with basement. Stone built with slate
roof. Free Acquired by Melbourne Brewery Leeds 1 Oct 1945.
Sadly now demolished and replaced with some concrete structure
that now houses the collage.
Here is a video
clip taken by Chris Kelly of KeighleyWeb
Queen Street Arms, (New Street) Queen Street,
|| Landlord Thomas
Blakely. Last Land Lady Edith
Riley. the pub was commonly called the Grinning Rat. Propertied to have once been
a coaching inn, with blacksmith's forge. The whole area was demolished in 1966.
Sold Heys Ales.
Mortgage Acquired by H H Thompson Brewer Keighley 20 Sept
1876 Acquired by Tordoff Brewers Bradford29 Mar 1899 Acquired
by J Hey Brewer Bradford Apr 1919
for Grinning Rat
The image bottom left provided by Eddie Kelly is a
copy of an illuminated autograph (original in Keighley
Library) given to Edith Riley Landlady of the Queen St Arms by
Laurel & Hardy to commemorate their visit to the pub on 28
July 1952. Stan Laurel & Edith Riley were childhood
friends when their parents were involved in travelling theatricals. Laurel & Hardy were 'topping the bill' at
Bradford Alhambra during the week of the visit. Edith Riley
kept an autograph book of all the famous theatrical visitors
using the pub during her sixty three years residence there -
most of these were appearing at the nearby Hippodrome Theatre;
most of their names are now sadly completely forgotten.
Railway Inn, closed 1907, became Bocking Working Men's
Red Lion, John Waddington, Eastwood's row,
The Midland was built & opened as a beerhouse by Fanny Waddington
who had some time previously been licensee at the Red Lion which some
time after her departure was renamed the Queens Hotel. The Midland
wasn't a beerhouse for long very quickly being granted a full
Reservoir Tavern, Calver Syke Hill.
| Conveyed to J
KNowles Brewer Denholme Gate 7 Jun 1873 Acquired by Woods Brewers
Denholme 14 May 1885 Acquired by Boardmans United Breweries 7 Sept
1896 Leased to Strettons Brewery Derby Acquired by Bentleys Yorkshire
Breweries 6 July 1921
Ingham 1864, Napoleonic War veteran. John
The inscription on Christopher Ingham's grave in Utley Cemetery
reads: "In memory of the late Christopher Ingham, landlord of
the Reservoir Tavern, Keighley, who died September 9th, 1866, in the
80th year of his age. He was one of the heroes of the Peninsular
War. For having served in the 95th regiment of Foot, for which he
received the silver medal and 9 clasps for the engagements at
Toulouse, Orthes, Pyranees, Vittoria, Salamanca, Badajoz, Ciudad,
Rodrigo, Fuentea, D'Oner and Busaco. He also received the medal for
Some local historians believe Mr Ingham's heroism may have inspired
the author Bernard Cornwell's saga about Major Richard Sharpe,
played by Sheffield-born Sean Bean
Roe Buck, Utley, Thomas Smith. 1881
John Smith Brewer and Inn Keeper and farmer of 97 acres. E&T
Wall Acquired by Ilkey Brewery at auction 28 May 1919
Royal Hotel Damside
until 1998 when it became the Royal
Oak. Harry Tap, real name Henry Hargreaves Thompson,
landlord, Started a club , the Keighley
Hen Pecked Club. Which involved a cradle for rocking
unreasonable wife's. The cradle was often displayed
in galas. 1861 Henry Thompson. It is possible that this was once
called the Dusty Miller.
Owned by J Knowles Brewer Denholme Gate March 1868 Acquired by T
Taylor Brewer Keighley 12 Nov 1885
Rule Brittania Information from Eddie Kelly: Was also a beerhouse and like many
others wasn't allowed to continue after the licensing sessions of
1869. The reason for discontinuance appears today to be either
pedantic or bloody minded. The application for a licence had been
received with less than two weeks notice therefore none was granted.
Thomas Greenwood was beerhouse keeper at closure and the property was
owned by Midgley Oddy. The location was reported at closure as
Oakworth but I have a note for 1867 suggesting the beer house was
actually at Upper Ponden
Scar Top Brewery.
& Robert Heaton was living at Scar Top Farm at the time of the construction
reservoir & Watersheddles. He saw a cash making opportunity,
the workers were a long way from any village. So he built a brewery
onto the side of the farm, which consisted of a large underground Store
cellar, barrel wash house, wagon shed, counting house, brew
house, square rooms Store, vatting rooms, refrigerator and settling
back rooms, hop chamber and malt room. The business must. have grown
beyond supplying the works, which by 1873 there were some 300 men
working on the reservoirs. By 1877 they had 3 horses, an ale wagon,
ale cart, sprung cart and a dog cart; one set of harness was silver
mounted. The reservoirs were completed in 1877. May 1878 there was
an advert for the sale of, Brewery, farm and three cottages.
It was advertised later 1St. June 1878 in the Keighley News, to take
place at the Crown Hotel, it must not have sold as it is advertised
again September 1878, but this time it also includes household
furniture and livestock. It must have failed to sell, and things
must have become serious, November 1878 another advertisement, this
time being sold by Order of Mortgagees, Under Power of Sale.
Shake Hands Beer House. Information from Eddie Kelly:
Being located at 'Chip Hill' which was probably below Bogthorn.
Possibly located above the top of Ingrow Lane. The beerhouse keeper
when the pub was closed by magistrates in 1869 was John Clayton. The
reason for closure was unusual in that the property was considered too
small to be used for a pub effectively its rateable value was less
than £20 per year - the minimum required to enable a licence to be
Ship Inn West Lane, part of the Bentlys
Yorkshire Beers (BYB) brewery chain. closed on 5th April 1969. Good
Friday, last licensee’s was Jack and Maureen Beck and the last
barman was Mr. Robert Wood. Mortgaged to White Horse Brewery Keighley
30 Oct 1887 Acquired by Scott Brewer Skipton 10 Feb 1898 Sold to
Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 1 Oct 1912
Shoulder of Mutton, Station Road, Thwaites 1881
William Pickles was landlord living at 22 Thwaites. Acquired by J
Wood Brewer Denholme 29 Sept 1891 Acquired by Boardmans United
Breweries 7 Sept 1896 Leased to Strettons Brewery Derby Acquired by
Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 6 July 1921
Silent Inn Hob Lane, Stanbury. One Story
tells that this inn took its name after Bonnie Prince Charlie Stayed
at the inn for several weeks during the 1745 Jacobean
uprising. The villagers were told to 'keep silent' about their
guest's presence. Tradition holds that a kindly old landlady
provided food for the wild cats that foraged on the moors. She would
announce feeding time by ringing a bell from a doorway of the inn
that has since been blocked up, and this is where a ghostly tinkling
is now heard.
||Not a public house
but a night club.
Star Hotel North Street.
T Ramsden Brewer Halifax freehold
26 Jul 1899 built new pub, Ramsden purchased leasehold on old pub 13
May 1870 Acquired by J Tetley Brewer Halifax 22 Dec 1965
Station Hotel See Queens
information from Eddie Kelly: The Sun kept by Hannah Dunbar was
listed in a commercial directory dated 1822 as being in Church
believe this entry was a mistake and should have actually been in
respect of an old Inn named The Sun that stood on the corner of Temple St & High St. This was a distant forerunner of the pub
later occupying other premises in High St known as the Exchange
Sun Inn, (Beerhouse) 53 High Street.
Information from Eddie Kelly: Beerhouse kept by Martha Lynch. It
appears to have opened between 1862 & 1865 in what was
originally two cottages occupied in 1862 by James Riding & James
Smith. John Lynch was beerhouse keeper there in 1866 succeeded by
his wife Martha Lynch by the following year. Brewers Aaron King
& Co of Cooke Lane purchased the pub toward the end of 1876 and
took possession 27 Aug 1877 - they had previously supplied the beer.
By 1884 the address was 53 High Street; long time tenant Fred Ambler
being in charge. The pub was referred to the Quarter Sessions by the
Keighley magistrates at the Brewster sessions held in Aug 1909, the
pub finally closing for business 23 Dec 1909 - 100 years ago. Reason
for closure - too many pubs. Kings the owners received £1312
compensation for loss of business and the then tenant George Brown
Acquired by A King Brewer Keighley 27 Aug 1877
Timothy Taylor's original
brewery was on Cook Lane
Thanks to Jan for sharing the photo of the brewery (2nd photo from left)
Three Horse Shoes, Eastwood row. 1829 landlord John
rebuilt became Queens Hotel
Turkey Inn Goose Eye
Victoria Hotel, Cavendish Street, In its hey day it would
have been a magnificent place, catering mainly for Travellers and had
new novel electric lights, a grand restaurant and buffet. They also
laid on public banquets and balls. Acquired by J Whitham Brewer
Burton on Trent 15 Oct 1889 Leased to Wm Whitaker Brewer Bradford Acquired
by J Spink Brewer Bradford17 Mar 1920 Information from Eddie Kelly:
It was built on the site of a former Horse Infirmary it was intended
to call it the Nags Head in commemoration of the sites former use.
However difficulties were encountered securing a licence which took
several years to obtain. When it was granted the owners changed the
name to celebrate their Victory in securing the licence. The name has
nothing to do with the Queen of that name who was reigning at the
Vine Tavern, Hope
Place, off South Street. Acquired by T Taylor Brewer Keighley 9 Jan
1873. Closed April 2012
Lawkholme Lane. Bought by Timothy Taylor in December 1859
Wall E & T Ltd,
Wellington Hotel, Hanover
Street, Landlord Ed. Cooper, Acquired by T Wall Brewer &
Wine Dealer Keighley 4 Nov 1856 In existence in 1826 Closed in 1989.
Built where the first Masons Arms once stood 81 Low Street, on the corner of Hanover Street and Low
White Horse , New
|| BYB house. Opened around 1884, closed 31 March 1969. Mark
and Mary Gunning were the last landlord and landlady here, they
relocated down the road to the Great Northern Inn at Ingrow. Thanks
to Allan Smith for the information.
Acquired by H
Thompson Brewer Keighley 4 Dec 1864 Acquired by Scott Brewers
Skipton 15 Mar 1897 Sold to Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 1 Oct
White Lion, Haworth,
Coaching Inn oldwhitelionhotel.com.
Conveyed To S Ogden Brewer Haworth 10 Nov 1880 Leased to R Whitaker
Brewer Halifax 24 Sept 1910 Leased to Bentley Yorkshire Breweries
White Swan, Low bridge, 1829 Landlord George Corlass,
Tree. Morton Banks
renamed The Rovers
Return, Woodhouse Road.
Information from Eddie Kelly: The Grinning Rat pub being
compulsorily purchased; Hey’s receiving £6650 compensation from
Keighley Corporation, replacing the pub with a purpose built one
along Woodhouse Road Keighley. It was the brewery's intention to
name the new pub the Grinning Rat - indeed a sign to that effect was
erected but public pressure was mounted against the name and it
subsequently opened as the unimaginative 'Woodhouse' the last pub to
be opened by Hey's brewery prior to their merger with Webster’s of
Halifax. The pub was in recent years ridiculously renamed 'The
Rovers Return' before falling into disuse and subsequent demolition
during the spring 1995.
Riddlesden. Now Willow Bank House.
Information from Eddie Kelly: Fully licensed pub adjacent to the
Leeds & Liverpool canal serving travellers using this
A newspaper advertisement dated 1849 probably in the Leeds Mercury
names Michael Gill as Landlord promoting a pigeon shooting match at
the pub on Whit Monday (28 May 1849). The prize for the winner
was........ One Pig!! Michael Gibson; is listed as Landlord in 1830
and was still there in 1842 when his alternative trade of basket
maker is listed. One other note I have on this pub is dated 1853
where its location is described as being 'adjacent to Stockbridge
The full licence being transferred to Mrs. Garrett's beerhouse at
Stockbridge 'The Bridge'. The pub was owned for many years by the
Saxton family. Joseph Saxton was still running the pub in 1864 on
behalf of owner John Greenwood. A directory entry for 1866 suggests
John Saxton was still running the pub but the Bridge is also listed
as now being fully licenced. It is quite possible that the
licence was actually transferred to the Bridge during 1866. Joseph
Saxton formerly of The Woodpecker was granted 'leave to sell' early
1867 in respect of the Busfeild Arms East Morton, succeeding John
Gledhill. A further note indicates that the Woodpecker had now
Woolpack, (Brick houses)
(Acre Square) King Street.
Booth, listed in 1829. Landlord Thomas Dawson.
Mortgaged to R Whittaker Brewer Halifax Acquired 1 Apr 1921
Valley Inn, Halifax Road
photo kindly provided by David Kidd
Probably built in the 1860s or 1870s as an end-of terrace pub.
Boardmans United Breweries Acquired at auction 25 Aug 1897 Leased to
Strettons Brewery Derby Acquired by Bentleys Yorkshire Breweries 6
tenure: He took over the pub from Edward Percival in September
1927 leaving January 1931 & succeeded by George Henry
Swire. Harry Kidd had previously lived at 20 Exley Head
The pub was conveyed to Bentleys Brewery along with several
others on 6th July 1921. It had previously been owned by
Boardman's United Breweries who had purchased it at auction in
the Devonshire Hotel Keighley 25th August 1897. Prior to
Boardman's the pub had always been a free house.
35 Long Croft Licensed Lodging
House 1881 run by Ann Wood. While it says licensed in the
census, it did not mean a liquor licence more a licence to offer atrocious
overnight accommodation in flea ridden beds with the minimum of
sanitary conditions. It didn't get much better through the c20th
century. When Roberts lodging house closed down in the 1960's, The kip
by the Brown Cow. The demolition gang wouldn't go inside because of
the infestation. Eventually the
Fire Brigade set it on fire under their control. Information supplied
by Eddie Kelly.
John Foster Beerhouse
Keeper Market Street 1861
Jacob Stead Beerhouse
Keeper 37 & 41 Wellington Street 1881
1822 Joseph Atkinson, Hope Street
Atkinson, Hope Street
1829 William Barstow, Eastwood
Coffee Houses. (Introduced
by the Methodist's)
Acorn Coffee House, Low Street (near to the Black Horse)
Alexandra Coffee House open 1884 in East Parade
Crown Union (1828). — Keighley and Leeds. Ran from the Crown
Inn, Keighley, every Tuesday, by Bingley, Shipley, Windhill, Idle,
Calverley, to the Bull and Mouth, Leeds ; returned at 5 p.m. Performed
by John Ellison & Co., Keighley.
Alexander (1820-43). — Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, and Skipton.
From the Rose and Crown, Leeds, at 5-30 p.m. One coach to Bradford;
two coaches from Bradford to Halifax and Bradford to Skipton : 1822-4,
5 p.m.; 1826, 4 p.m.; 1829, 3-45 p.m.; 1832, 4-45 p.m.; 1833, 3-45
p.m. In this year the Halifax branch coach gave up running, but the
other continued through Bingley and Keighley. In 1837 it was removed
from the Rose and Crown, and ran from the Golden Lion and White Horse
alternately: 1840, 4 p.m.; 1843, 4-30 p.m.
Anticipation (1817).— Leeds and Skipton. From the Black
Horse, Skipton, daily, at 5 a.m., through Keighley, Bingley, and
Bradford, to White Swan and Rose and Crown, Leeds ; returned same
route, 3-30 p.m. Performed by Asquith, Duckitt, Greenwood, Wilkin, and
Long. This coach was succeeded in the following year by the Britannia,
running over the same ground and worked by the same men.
Britannia (1818-21). — Leeds and Skipton. Left Skipton at 5
a.m., daily; returned from the Rose and Crown, Leeds, at 5 p.m.,
through Bradford, Bingley, and Keighley. Performed by John Long &
Coach (1792). — Leeds to Skipton. Began November, 1792, from
the Golden Lion and Rose and Crown, Leeds, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and
Saturdays, at 2 p.m., through Bingley and Keighley.
Diligence (1789-91).— Leeds and Kendal. Began to run May,
1789, through Bradford, Bingley, Keighley, Cross Hills, Settle, Kirby-
Lonsdale, on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, at 4 a.m., from the
Old King's Arms, Leeds, to the White Hart and Coffee House, Kendal.
Fare : inside, 25s. Performed by Hick, Leeds ; Parkin, Devonshire
Arms, Keighley ; Newell, New Inn, Skipton ; Robinson, Royal Oak,
Invincible (1824-42). — Leeds and Preston. Commenced running
April 26th, 1824, from the Hotel, Leeds, at 7 a.m., daily, through
Bradford, Bingley, Keighley, Cross Hills, Colne, Burnley, and
Blackburn ; arrived at the Old Red Lion, Preston, at 3-30 p.m., in
time for the Blackpool coach. Performed by Mathew Outhwaite & Co.
Merry Wakefield, an early coach running on alternate days from
this house and the Golden Lion to Bingley, Keighley, and Skipton